"

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lamp Shade Redo!

I can’t tell you how difficult it is for me to take on a project that has anything to do with being crafty!  I so worry that I am going to ruin something or that if it turns out to be something that I think is cute – it wont be cute to others!

I have had this old glass lamp base for years – something I found at a garage sale for next to nothing.  I snapped on a Target lamp shade that I found and it was perfect in our Quail Creek Home in a little kitchen nook!  However once we moved in to Fishtail Cottage, this sweet lamp has roamed the house & it just never had a place!  So finally I started listing it on Craigslist!  But, no takers! 

119  116

I decided to once again, give “crafty” a try! Looking for a lamp shade that had the wiring in it that was cheap, cheap, cheap! That way, if I mess it up – I won’t feel too awful!  Finally I found one at Tuesday’s Mornings & brought it home.  I started tearing the cover off of it…

002003

Once that was completed, I sanded all the glue off & spray painted the frame and spray painted the base completely white.

104

A little more sanding & slipped this baby in a bag & poured vinegar inside & shook it so that the vinegar covered the metal.

 115004

After a full 24 hours I pulled it out of the bag & hosed it off with water. This is what it looked like!

008

I found a fabulous vintage light bulb and assembled everything together.  however I couldn’t tell if I should leave it as is – I’m thinking I like the industrial look, but figured while I’m at it, I should try some mesh ribbon wrapped around it.

 022030

Curious which do you like? I still can’t decide!!!

 

046

For now, I will leave it like this until I get some feed back from you! To see what I am linking to this week – please check my “Cottage Links” label…xoxo, tracie

PS - Fishtail Cottage is now on Facebook

31 comments:

Goldie said...

I like it, its a real rustic look. The vinegar was a really neat trick as well.

Ticking and Toile said...

Love that idea! It turned out cute Tracie!
Where is the world did you find the vintage light bulb???
xoxo,
Shellagh

Katie said...

I love the glass base and the mesh ribbon!

Miss Char said...

I like the bare wire better, especially with that particular light bulb.

Cindy said...

I like it both ways!

Cindy

Red Gate Farm said...

I am officially stealing this idea! I just bought the most fabulous little crystal lamp at the thrift store and this is exactly what it needs. Of course mine came with an ugly shade that I can use so I don't even have to purchase one!

~Chris

PS I have some of the "edison" like bulbs for an old ceiling fixture that I bought at Rejuvenation... where did you find yours?

Rachel Pallas said...

It is darling Tracie~ I was thinking about doing that to a lamp but using some old lace ( I saw similar on Rachel Ashwells new site but for alot of $$$!) xo Rachel

stefanie said...

ooooohhh!!! I like it!

Sizzle and Zoom said...

I like the lamp shade you made with the vintage bulb.

Carole said...

i would leave it if it fits with the style of the room.
You go crafty girl!

x
Carole

Petite Michelle Louise said...

love...love...and on my "to do" list! ;)

Blondie's Journal said...

Your lamp has a lot of charm...you did a wonderful job!! Aren't you glad it didn't sell?!!

XO,
Jane

jeanetteann said...

I am amazed how simple but effective your lamp is. Well done, I love it as is. I soooo wanted a crystal base like that to put on a table I renovated, but couldn't find one, until I came across a little one last week which is only 4.5" high, but has no shade. You have inspired me. To the drawing board I go. xxx

Athena at MinervasGarden said...

I love it with the wire mesh ribbon! And thank you for stopping by my blog today.

NanaDiana said...

Great job- I like it both ways. If you leave it bare it looks great with the Edison bulb because that was when that was all they had- the bare look...and I like it with the tulle because it fits the crystal look. This is a case where you can have your cake and eat it too! xo Diana

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

I love it with the mesh! What a great way to get the rust on the wire, I did not know that little trick. The vintage light bulb really makes it.

~Shanon

Mindy said...

Thank you so much for coming by my blog today and leaving such a nice comment about my yard. AND for inviting me to your link party.

I've been poking around and your house and yard is gorgeous!
I'm your newest follower. :)

d e l i g h t said...

I like the look and the idea of putting vinegar on the shade to rust it is great! Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Faded Charm.

My Little Home and Garden said...

Hi, Tracie

I have a lamp that needs some fixing up and even have the new wiring bits and pieces for it. It sits in the basement collecting dust! I found your project really interesting; I'll have to tackle mine soon.

-Karen

Michele @ {Primp} said...

cute--I love the industrial look without the mesh ribbon, and love love that old looking light bulb!

Ricki Jill Treleaven said...

Very cute. I like it! :D I think the vintage lightbulb pulls the look together perfectly.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Amazing. I can't even believe how creative some people are. This is such a fun and delightful idea. Love the lamp. Great. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

saltbox treasures said...

Hi Tracie, I love this! I have had a similar idea, but haven't done it yet. The rusty look is perfect. I didn't know vinegar would do that. Good to know :). Go with the way you like it best.
~ Julie

JenGrenko said...

I like the net. It needs something to diffuse the light yet, it's still transparent enough to see the skeleton of the shade. Love the vinegar trick. I plan to use that!

Heaven's Walk said...

How in the world did you know that the vinegar would do that to the paint, Tracie...??? That is sooo cool! I love the look!!!! :)

xoxo laurie

Kathy said...

Well Done! I like it with the ribbon - very soft and feminine - goes well with the glass base - so glad you gave it a try - inspiring! Thank you for sharing this with A Return to Loveliness,
God Bless,
Kathy

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I think it's darling Tracie~ well done! Thanks for sharing at my party!

Hi, I'm Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh you clever girl! I just adore your lampshade. Thank you for linking up.

tendrplace said...

Love the rustic look. when i made a lampshade out of a rusty old fence wire i just clear coated it first so it'd shine and not keep rusting then added organza bows.
the rustic and softness together is beautiful. I wouldn't change a thing.:)

Mark Norkaitis said...

LOOKS GREAT! I have one in my house like that!

Schubert said...

I snapped on a Target lamp shade that I found and it was perfect in our ... rusticlampshades.blogspot.com