Ham and Potato Soup…

Over the holidays, my husband tried this recipe at a friends cabin.  When he came home he raved about how amazing this soup recipe was and that we had to try to make it ourselves!  We found the recipe over at allrecipes.com ~ however made a small change here and there and used our friends cooking suggestions to make sure we duplicated how it was made at the cabin. (which are noted in the ingredients/directions below). 

IMG_1139

Ingredients:

  • 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
  • 1/3 cup diced celery
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion
  • 3/4 cup diced cooked ham
  • 3 1/4 cup water
  • 2 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 5 tbls. butter
  • 5 tbls. flour
  • 2 cups milk

Directions ~

IMG_1136Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Once the water has been brought to a boil, cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes). Stir in chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

IMG_1132

In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.  whisk in flower slowly, stirring constantly until sauce is thick IMG_1135(about one minute). Slowly stir in milk using a whisk so that you do not allow lumps to form in the sauce. Continue to stir over low heat until thick (4 minutes).

IMG_1137Pour the milk mixture into the stockpot and stir until completely mixed and heated through…serve immediately. (sprinkle a little shredded cheddar cheese on top of individual serving)

 

Side dish recommendation ~ thinly sliced Italian bread grilled cheese Panini.

I must admit this soup was pretty delicious & will definitely make it again and again!  To see what else I am linking to this week – please check my “Cottage Links” label…xoxo, tracie

PS – Follow Fishtail Cottage on Facebook / Pinterest

Comments

Bernideen said…
Nothing better in winter than hot soup and bread!!! COMFORT FOOD!
Kate said…
Oh I love a good soup recipe its so perfect for cold weather. Great share for us gals who love to make a pot of soup.

xo
Kate
Victoria said…
That sounds delicious! I happen to have some ham in the freezer, leftover from Christmas, so I may have to try this:) We're having soup for dinner tonight, I love soup!!!
I was just thinking about making potato leek soup-but this looks like a nice variation. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. Perfect for this weather!
-Lynn
Soup recipes are popping up all over blog land. This does sound delicious, and a comfort food for our cold weather.
Judith
Rosita Vargas said…
Realmente exquisita me encantn las sopas muy interesante con leche, tiene un aspecto perfecto y delicioso,abrazos y abrazos
Sandy said…
I just love Potato Soup and will
surly give this recipe a try.
Thanks for sharing.
Sandy
Leslie said…
Sounds SO good! I'll give this a try:) The weather has been perfect for soup. Hope your week is going well:)

xxL
Unknown said…
Now I know what we're having for dinner tonight. Thanks!!
Vanessa said…
Yum. That's the perfect dish for below 0 weather. My mom used to make potato soup, but it's been years since I've had it. Thanks for sharing!
Karena said…
Sounds and looks so delish. Comfort food for the winter especially with grilled cheese paninis!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
Samantha said…
Hi, I'm the Samantha that contacted you on craigslist about the plants. I think my emails are going to a bad site now. Just letting you I'm still planning on buying some.

Popular Posts