Summer Read! Mark of Distinction, by Jessica Dotta

IMG_4785

IMG_4786Remember this post I shared with you last year about the book titled Born of Persuasion? Since reading that book ~ I have been anxiously awaiting the publication of the follow up book to it titled Mark of Distinction! Both by author Jessica Dotta. I am about half way thru this second one couldn’t wait to share about it.  I know a lot of you are looking for the perfect “2014 SUMMER READ”. If you love historical fiction and being able to place yourself within the pages where the description of the room and the surrounds of come to life ~ I can almost taste the tea that is being sipped and the heavy layers of clothing Julia is wearing.  Can’t help but compare it to how I felt watching “Gone with the Wind” ~ if you love that movie or enjoy Downton Abby…this series is for you!  Mark of Distinction is the second book in the Price of Privilege trilogy.  I strongly suggest you read the first book “Born of Persuasion” not only because of the backstory, but also because “Mark of Distinction” picks up exactly where the other ended!

Here is a snippet about Mark of Distinction, Jessica Dotta.

image“THE EIGHT MONTHS following my arrival at Maplecroft have been called one of the greatest cozenages of our age. My father and I have endured endless speculation as to the number of hours poured into its plan and execution.

Truth comprised of bare facts is rarely more flattering than legend. In reality, our sham was little more than a maddash scramble of one improvisation after another. Events kept unfolding, forcing us to take new action, making it impossible to steer from collision.

I am an old woman now. Ancient some days. I had no idea my story would cause such an uproar. When I first penned it, my only intent was to address the rumors of how the entire affair started. I was weary of hearing how I seduced Mr. Macy. As if I, or anyone, could. The very idea is laughable. Long life has its advantages. Your perception grows clearer, even if your sight dims. How much better I now understand the shock Lady Foxmore must have felt during our presentation. Her pretension was unequalled. Yet there I stood, a pale, scrawny girl in rags, chosen by one of the most illustrious men in her circle to be wed to him. It is no wonder she thought it a grand jest. How could she, or anyone who knew Macy intimately, have guessed just how resolute he was upon marrying me?”

The book is narrated by Julia herself, as she nears the end of her life and looks back to her youth.

I think it’s fair to share that I did not receive this book from a publisher nor was I asked to share my thoughts on my blog – This review is my own thoughts and opinions and a follow up because I was lucky enough receive and share the first book of this series from the publisher. It looks like I have some time to wait before I can read and share about the third book in this series ~ I’m on pins and needles anxiously waiting to find out what happens next!

You can order your copy of Mark of Distinction here!  But if you haven’t read Born of Persuasion, I suggest you do so first – you can order that one here!

Can’t wait to hear what you all think too! xoxo, tracie

Comments

Pondside said…
Thank you for the recommendation. I shall find both books and save them for December holiday. It will be upon me before I know it, and it is too late to find a book just before leaving. Since I'll be going to e South America, it will be a sort of 'summer read' at that time.
Anonymous said…
I love reading and these books sound like something "just up my alley!" How did you get the first book sent to you to review?! I'm super interested. Thanks for sharing. Now to get the books... :)

Moments Divine

Popular Posts