"

Monday, March 30, 2015

Fishtail Cottage Garden 3/30/15

This week the tulips have begun to opened up in our landscape – but to be honest only a handful have returned. Most of the tulips are only showing the green foliage – so this weekend while cleaning up a few of the beds, I couldn’t help but start to dig up the tulip bulbs to store them for fall planting this year. The ones that are blooming are certainly beautiful!

IMG_8968

Over the weekend I focused on a few much needed garden bed areas that needed attention – one being the front garden.  Last fall I pulled up everything out of this area so that I could start clean this spring.  I decided to plant Halcyon and Gold Standard Hostas along with my favorite Cottage Perennial the bleeding heart of the garden.  Now any time I plant an area of the garden – I know that it will take a couple years to get this area established to what my future vision is.  I know that this area will be fill in with the English Bluebells, Sweet Woodruff and other seeds that scatter on their own. I love the look of an organized yet whimsical cottage garden.

IMG_8983

On the other side of the fence is where I focused more of my attention – I had removed a huge mock orange and a “Belle Isis” rose that has decided to ramble its way through this area and comes up wherever it’s runner desires.

 IMG_8986

It was a pretty rose, but I didn’t like that it only bloomed once and also that it was taking over this area choking out very carefully placed plants. I know it doesn’t look like I have organized chaos in my garden but I definitely do! I ended up digging up more roots of the Belle Isis Rose and planting a few more white bleeding hearts and peonies. 

   IMG_8987

I will plant more blooming perennials as they appear in the nurseries! I am on the hunt for a “Keiko Peony” for this area, Lupin, Poppies, Guara.  My only color right now that I have in this area is the beautiful Hino Crimson Azalea to share!

A couple spots in the garden that I am happy to share the beauty that is appearing is my front walkway with the explosion of Bleeding hearts next to my fountain.

IMG_8969

The backyard patio and walkway area is one of my favorites!  Seeing several trees and shrubs budding out. Its just so amazing seeing everything waking up on a daily basis! A lot of green right now, but in a few short weeks more and more colorful blooms will be appearing!

IMG_8975IMG_8993

Happy to share it with you! Thanks for coming over and visiting – xoxo, tracie

7 comments:

Sylvia said...

Your garden is beautiful! It hasn't gotten warm enough to work outside here yet. Flowering trees are blooming.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

Oh my word your walkway to your backyard it to DIE FOR gorgeous! WOW!

I LOVE to see all your new life in your garden. It's still cold here and snowed a few days ago...but didn't stick...spring is coming.....

Have a wonderful week.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I always love to see your gardens Tracie, they're definitely inspiring!

Marlene Stephenson said...

I love your yard it is beautiful.You are giving me ideas for mine but,i doubt mine will ever look that good.Thanks and have a great day in your garden.

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Everything is coming up just lovely, Tracie and I ADORE those bleeding hearts! Wish I had a green thumb like yours. Happy spring!

Mindy said...

Everything is looking gorgeous! So what's the remedy for the tulips? I had a lot just put out green this year, too.