DAVID C. H. AUSTIN OBE VMH (1926-2018)


As most of you who follow me, you know I love roses - all roses, but in particular I love cabbage roses with so many petals and a fragrance like no other. I was heartbroken to receive the following email just before Christmas announcing the passing of someone I admire so much and who has personally brought me so much happiness with his talent. 


 ~~~~~~~~~

Family Announcement
DAVID C. H. AUSTIN OBE VMH (1926-2018)
Issue date: December 21, 2018

It is with a heavy heart that I write to inform you of the passing of my father, David C. H. Austin, during the early hours of Tuesday 18th December, 2018. He died peacefully at his home in Shropshire surrounded by his family, aged 92.

For over 75 years my father’s dedication to roses brought fragrance and beauty to gardens all over the world. A perfectionist at heart, he bred more than 200 English Roses during his extraordinary career, unwavering in his pursuit of an ever more beautiful rose. He loved nothing more than seeing people enjoy his roses, whether that person be a colleague, customer, gardener or friend.

Whilst we all share in this sad loss, David Austin Senior’s memory will be honored in the plants that we love. If you would like to read more about his remarkable life, please visit https://www.davidaustinroses.com/us/about-us/david-c-h-austin.

If you would like to share your memories and condolences with us, please email rememberingmra@davidaustinroses.com

Thank you for your continued warmth and support.

With best wishes, 

David J. C. Austin
Managing Director 


~~~~~~~~~


My first David Austin Rose was "Abraham Darby". I brought this rose home in the summer of 2000 when I started collecting roses at our previous home.  This rose was one of the few plants that I dug up and removed from that landscape to bring to our new home in 2005.  I am so glad I did! I had no idea how much this rose would mean to me when I started planning out my landscape vision here at Fishtail Cottage.  I went out to wonder the garden when I read the news and saw that I had this rose in bloom here in Seattle - mind you we are having low 40's temperatures and this Abraham Darby rose is still thriving and blooming beautifully. 

Since planting this David Austin Abraham Darby Rose in 2005, I have brought home so many more roses to add to my landscape and cherish each and every one of them.  Thank you Mr. Austin for all you have created for so many of us out here - your legacy will go on in our gardens! 

xoxo, tracie







Comments

Popular Posts