Kaleidoscope Abelia

With fall just around the corner, I'm already feeling the vibe of chunky sweaters and sipping hot tea on my patio.  Along with the fall festive vibes, I can't help but be drawn to the colors of fall in the landscape as well.  As much as I love a mum from my local grocery store, I honestly can't stand wasting money on something that will only look pretty for a few weeks and dissolve into a puff of mold once the temperatures drop and the dampness sets in.  



Plantingtree offered me to try the Kaleidoscope Abelia...Have you heard of it? I hadn't either. I agreed to give it a go in the garden and when I opened the box, I couldn't think of a better location than adding it to the Chicken Church porch (pictured above).  I love the colors of this plant...it fits perfect just outside the french doors. 

After ordering the plant, it arrived in just days in a sturdy cardboard box. Opening the box was easy and didn't need anything more than just a little muscle due to the staples. The plant itself was carefully packaged and didn't look to be in shock at all. It was gorgeous and even has a few blooms.  


As I mentioned in the beginning of this post I immediately thought it should go on the porch of the Chicken Church. I added a little soil and gave the plant a good watering until it drizzled out of the bottom of the plastic pot.  I have this rusty old galvanized bucket that has the patina of fall screaming from it. I slid it in and was so happy of the perfect fit. I really look forward to seeing more blooms this fall and the changing of colors!  I will definitely be sharing more of this plant as it changes on my Facebook page and Instagram feed!  Take a look at the photos of how beautiful this plant is just coming right out of the box. Definitely not disappointed that I ordered and get to see it thrive here in my landscape. I love all the colors it is showing right now.
 

In spring, the center of the foliage is light green with bright yellow around the outer edges. In summer, the color deepens, transitioning into a dark green center with golden-yellow outer edges. An abundance of white, subtly fragrant flowers emerge during late summer and continue to bloom into fall. With a beautiful spectrum of green, red, golden-yellow, and orange this plant is quite literally a kaleidoscope of pigments in fall.
The Kaleidoscope Abelia is more than just a pretty face! It is an extremely versatile and hardy plant. From small groupings, mass plantings to containers, this plant brings distinctive charm to any of your landscaping needs. Not only is it versatile in the area you plant it, but this plant is frost, drought, heat and deer resistant. Plant in full sun to partial shade. What more can you ask for in a shrub?!
This eye-catching shrub provides an abundance of color with minimal care and will definitely add curb appeal to any home or place of business.
Getting the best results and color out of your Kaleidoscope Abelia is as easy as 1,2,3!
  1. Plant in full sun for the deepest color
  2. Allow 5 feet between plants to accommodate mature growth
  3. Provide a slow release, high nitrogen fertilizer in the spring.
For additional options, be sure to browse our Abelia collection
Shipping Restriction AZ
Soil Type Adaptable
Sunlight Full Sun, Part Sun
Drought Tolerance Good
Mature Height 2-3 Feet
Mature Width 3-4 Feet
Fall Color Orange
Bloom Color White

How To Care

Planting Time: Any time of the year taking care to avoid temperature extremes, especially the height of summer.
Sun: Full sun for best blooming
Soil: Very adaptable, but fertile, well drained is ideal
Water: Deeply water when newly planted and once or twice weekly during establishment. Once established, only minimal watering is needed and generally only during extended periods of dry, hot weather.
Fertilization: A fertilizer for flowering shrubs like Rhododendrons will work great for Abelias. The best times to fertilize are early spring and/or early summer.
Pruning: Abelias do not generally require pruning, but if pruning is desired winter is best.


Comments

Popular Posts